I was ordained a priest in Christ’s one, holy, catholic and apostolic church on December 3rd, 2011. It’s no coincidence that this is also when I began my blog.
I thought about blogging for the last five years as I went through the Episcopal ordination process, but I never had the courage. I was scared that if I had a blog, I might publish something that would get in the way of my being ordained. A vocation to ordained ministry has been in me for twenty-plus years, more than half my life. I couldn’t imagine jeopardizing my ability to fulfill that call. So I published nothing.
Then, hands were laid on my head, and I was named priest. I put up this blog very quietly. I didn’t blog regularly, because of course I didn’t have any readers. And I never told anyone I was blogging, so it was more or less impossible for anyone to find me.
That changes today. Thanks to the presence of God among the thirty-eight people I spent the weekend with at an event titled, “Mortal, Can These Bones Live?” (Ezekiel 37), I’m going public with this blog.
I’m still scared that I will publish something that pushes the envelope a little too far for someone who reads this. I know that the internet is where civility came to die. But if I am to be priest of Christ I cannot be a handmaiden of fear. Too much is at stake in the life of the church and the world.
For those who read this, I ask your prayers. Leave a comment, and I promise you mine.
Good to meet you! I’m Nurya…
Welcome!Here, a mother and priest chronicles her attempts at practicing resurrection. This sometimes involves small children and organizations known as "church." Other times it just means telling the truth. Occasionally chickens are mentioned. Click "About" for more...
Praying Day by Day
Looking for something?
- Surfacing with an Announcement wp.me/p20KmU-eI 9 minutes ago
- RT @timkellernyc: God’s salvation does not come in response to a changed life. A changed life comes in response to the salvation, offered a… 19 hours ago
- RT @jplynas: @UnvirtuousAbbey for those who think increased rate of extreme climate events is due to sexual rather than industrial activity… 21 hours ago
- RT @Wealands_Bell: I do wish people would get it into their heads that God's call is embodied in Christianity primarily through Baptism, no… 1 day ago
- Ok, #gathering2013 are you the same as Gathering of Leaders? I thought you were GNTG - Gathering The Next Generation. Confused over here. 2 days ago